Thursday, February 15, 2007

Take it off, way off

So, because today was Valentine's Day and I was already in the city for the Rickshaw's weekly booking meeting and then had to work the underwear party that night (more on that later), I decided to see a movie. Not just any movie, but the ultimate anti-Valentine's Day movie.

It was called Flannel Pajamas, and I knew the minute that I saw the preview that it was a film for me. Two characters meet, fall for each other, get married, and watch their relationship slowly break apart, with lots of talking and sexing. It sounded like a French film, but without all the subtitles and croissants. And it starred the slimy brother-in-law from Weeds (Justin Kirk) and the adorably freckled gal from Tully (Julianne Nicholson). What's not to love?


Well, I was almost dissuaded by the Onion's review. Boy, did they hate it. "Opaque acting, excruciating dialogue, and flat, affectless direction certainly don't help, but even in brilliant hands, Flannel Pajamas would still be a movie about two horrible, unsympathetic people doing dreadful things to each other, and learning nothing in the process." Ouch.

But I went anyway, partially spurred on by Mick Lasalle's Chronicle review (which I have to say may be the first one that I've ever agreed with). And you know I really liked it. Sure, the film isn't perfect and the characters are far from perfect, but, hell, that's life. Lots of people have a hard time in relationships, because relationships can be next to impossible (oh wait, am I projecting here? And why do we keep trying them? Because they're also kind of awesome).

I have this theory. I know, I know, I always have a theory. But here it is: The two main characters in Flannel Pajamas are hard to like because people within relationships are harder to watch. If you saw a film about these two people living outside of their relationship, I bet you would like them more. It's like when a couple you thought were perfect for each other end up breaking up -- you can never know what's really going on inside their heads and behind their closed doors. The nicest people may be bitch-slapping the hell out of each other when you're not around.

Anyway, I recommend the film if you like watching messed up people try to figure themselves out for a couple hours. It just felt really real.

Of course, then I went to the Shaw and watched 22-year-olds dance around in their underwear at the Club Neon pantie party. That felt way less real. Especially when the staff joined in.

3 comments:

Bubeau said...

ha, that's awesome.

freshpinkstyle said...

were you the lone ranger in your clothes staff-wise? cool nites at the hemlock wasn't very cool...

PopPhilosopher said...

no, the rest of the staff was fully clothed - elly even bought something extra! i actually had prepared for the event, in case the mood struck me, but the mood stayed unstruck.

but i was amazed at the willingness for all these people (boys and girls) to strip down, some still wearing their cardigans on top. and there weren't as many creepy old guys as expected. also, i think there was more making out at this event than any other we've had (and that's saying a lot).