Friday, August 17, 2007

Get get get to know ya better, baby

Okay, it'll have to be short this week…

Popscene isn't the best place to take a first date, but if you have to, make sure to bring someone who will jump up and down when they hear Depeche Mode and sing along to every, I mean every, word of every Junior Senior song. They sure are a fun band. JD Samson of Le Tigre got onstage with them, and it was nice to see she's still rocking the 'stache. Check the video for some awesome Halloween costume ideas and Peaches on rollerskates.

Also, I just heard of this German artist who makes short, lo-fi pop songs. Like Mark E Smith fronting Kleenex Girl Wonder. Someone made a cute video with his drawings.

At Matt's bachelor party, we spent something like 14 hours arguing over which artists were underrated, overrated, or perfectly rated. I was shocked to hear that Matt thinks Big Star is overrated and Neil Young underrated. I mean, Neil Young! Has anyone besides the old DB at the Express ever said anything bad about that guy? (We also learned some sexy stuff, but I won't tell you that here. My blog is a tease from now on.) Eventually, Carligula brought up Wire, and I don't think I've ever seen him get so excited. (We can say whatever we want about him here, because he says he hates and therefore never reads blogs by people he knows.) He sure loves those first two records, so much so that I went back after and listened to Pink Flag. He's right -- there's some amazing pop songs on there. Check out this clip from German TV.

Another warning: Don't ever play soccer with softball cleats. Hello, blisters.

Hey, I'm heading to NYC on Monday for some R&R. Gonna see Camera Obscura for free, go to Coney Island with Rolf, Michele, and Victoria before they bulldoze it, check out some museums, see some rollerdisco band with Ryan, catch up with Alida. If you know of anything I should check out, let me know.

Thanks to Marlo for this week's Grumpy Guy.