Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Keys to Everything

I lost my keys on Thursday. Never done that before. And it's so weird, because I lost them somewhere within a three block region, so you'd think I could find them.

I parked my car on Durant just below College, and walked to KALX. Halfway through my show, I realized I didn't have my keys in my pocket. I always put them in the same pocket, but I realized that I had a long coat on and may have put them in the coat pocket instead. But when I checked, the pockets were empty. Later, I retraced my steps several times, went to the UC Berkeley police lost and found, looked through the windows of the car. Nothing. Russ came and we poked around with his flash light, but didn't see anything. He was very thorough -- went back to KALX and looked everywhere, even in the T section, near Toto.

I don't have a lot of keys. I kind of pride myself on how few I have. But I did have the keys to Kathleen's car and to my home, and now I didn't have AAA and I didn't have a way to get home or get into my home. Luckily, Brent had borrowed Kathleen's car and never returned her spare keys, so he was able to come and save me. (Let this be a lesson to you: Always keep your ex-girlfriend's car's keys, until she asks for them back.) And, for better or worse, my apartment is somewhat easy to break into (not as easy as I thought but easy enough, um, but please don't take this as an offer).

Inside the apartment, I found a spare PO Box key, spare apartment keys, a spare bike lock -- everything but my mailbox. I guess I was more prepared than I realized, except that everything was in my apartment, instead of at some friend's house. Forget earthquake awareness; I need to start a dunderheaded awareness program.

7 comments:

ruzxs said...

while you're getting your new spare keys, maybe you should make a copy of your angst too.

Dan said...

mmm, i'd be happy to lose that.

Anonymous said...

dan, how did you watch Mad Men? I want to see it but it's not on DVD yet.

Anonymous said...

The important and duly answer

Anonymous said...

It is the amusing answer

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

The remarkable answer :)


I can suggest to visit to you a site, with an information large quantity on a theme interesting you. Hot Health