Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What's your damage, Heather?

I've been on a big '80s movie kick lately. It's been interesting seeing which stand the test of time. Here's the verdict so far:

Some Kind of Wonderful: (A-) Mary Stuart Masterson is still intensely adorable as the tomboy with a crush on Eric Stoltz. That scene where they practice kissing is a classic. Docked points for the locker room scene, mainly because her boxers were far less alluring than I remembered them.

Heathers: (B-) You know, this doesn't play so well now. Kind of zippy for a while, but then Winona Ryder becomes pretty unbearable and Christian Slater's maniacal behavior kills the tone of the movie. Lots of famous lines, though.

Can't Buy Me Love: (A-) Formulaic, obvious, and full of hideous 80s fashions. But I'm a sucker for this crap, and seeing Patrick Dempsey as a lawnmowing geeks is priceless. Plus it's got a very young Seth Green as a pain in the ass younger brother, and what nerd didn't want to buy Amanda Peterson?


Reality Bites: (D) I never saw this back in the day, and Jesus now I see why. You have to feel badly for Winona (who here proves herself to be the worst fake-laugher ever), having to choose between awful yuppie Ben Stiller and whiny slacker Ethan Hawke. Only Janeane Garafolo survives -- boy, does she ever. Rarrr.

Say Anything: (A) Well, yeah, this still sits atop the heap of teenage romances. That John Cusack was born to play a kickboxing slacker love magnet. But all the supporting cast is amazing too, from creepy dad John Mahoney to twisted rocker Lili Taylor to the dreamy Ione Skye (who I just learned is now married to singer Ben Lee, wow). And that ending, when they wait for the ding on the plane, is one of the best ever.

Next up: Sixteen Candles.

6 comments:

freshpinkstyle said...

I think I have seen 16 Candles about 150 times, not jk.

freshpinkstyle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I thought there was something fishy here. Reality Bites is a 90s movie, from 94. It's so much more a 90s movie.

Dan said...

You're so right! I'm sorry for any trauma this has cause anyone. No wonder it sucked so bad.

Any other 80s suggestions? I've got Pretty in Pink lined up next, since I watched 16 Candles.

Anonymous said...

I have a certain fondness for Visionquest with Matthew Modine.

ruzxs said...

VQ also includes "hungry for heaven" by dio. i have the soundtrack in case you'd like to borrow it.