Wednesday, April 18, 2007

yo, bum rush the queen is dead

Man, not feeling that great. Got some weird virus that makes me only want to sleep and/or watch bad teen sex comedies from the '80s (like Private Resort, featuring a verrrry young Johnny Depp as a teen horndog) all day.

Maybe I picked up something from the truly bizarre Rickshaw weekend just past. Friday was Yo Majesty and Sugar & Gold, which I didn't realize going in would be such an odd juxtaposition. S&G's audience is very hetero, while Yo Majesty's…well, they like the ladies and the ladies like them.

We've had ladies get topless at the club before -- most recently during Music For Animals' set, when a girl actually got on a guy's shoulders and flashed the band, just like if she was at a Crue show -- but never the performers. (Well, save for Jenny, but she wasn't onstage and she's Jenny.) But one of the women in Yo Majesty whipped off her shirt and many of the audience, both on and off the stage, followed suit. Including a certain lead singer of a certain local band, who we hadn't seen in the club for ages. It was pandemonium.

The next night there were another 50 people onstage, but this time they were gay Hispanic gangstaristas and their galpals, and they were all waving tulips. Because it was This Charming Band, a Smiths cover band, and for some bizarre reason Morrissey (or anyone who sounds like him) has a huge Hispanic following. At least it's easier to clean up tulips than it is vomit.

Other odd things: Cameron gave me a Len cd for my birthday, and I thought it was going to be nu-metal rap-rock, but it turns out it's really fun rap-rock. Kind of if the Beasties were from Canada and into trip-hop around 1999. I don't know how I missed their "Steal the Sunshine" song, but apparently it was a big hit. I'm kind of in love with the girl singer of the band -- check the video out.

One last thing: At his Q&A, Jonathan Lethem said he'd recently recorded You Don't Love Me Yet for sale as a book on whatever, the first time that he'd done it. And he'd realized that there were some parts of his book that weren't that good, that they'd been written on days he wasn't that interested in the novel. Which was really interesting to me to hear -- that such a talented writer would let his off days make it into the finished product. It was inspiring in a weird way.

Kind of like how this blog entry kind of sucks, and I'm letting you read it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's interesting because I wanted to ask him if he liked his characters because they seemed so much more profoundly unlikeable (and unknowable) than any of his other characters, but I couldn't find a way to say it without it being completely clear that I thought the book really wasn't good at all.

By the way, I kind of think you should read Motherless Brooklyn again. Because I think the genre exercise was really just a frame (and a somewhat appealing one, in my opinion) for what the book was really about - I guess about compulsion toward inserting yourself into the mysteries of your own life. Or really, just mostly about compulsion. Which I think it's pretty interesting, but maybe not for you.

freshpinkstyle said...

Hey, this isn't a bad blog entry! I learned some new things.

Anonymous said...

you can't get a girlfriend with such a cute kid accessory? much better than a puppy.
d boy