Wednesday, June 13, 2007

oops i did it again

Criminy. That's all you can say. Criminy. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be a human.

On Monday night, I went with Russ and Megan to the Jameson Free Drink party, which has become an annual event. Last year, it was at the Hemlock and featured free whiskey, Mickey "Do the Jane Fonda" Avalon, and Mini Kiss (midgets rock). This year, they held it at 1015 Folsom and hired MC Jelly Donut, that guy who plays music with robots, some beatboxer, and Mini Britney (midget does Ms. Spears). Turns out it's the same little person who was Paul Stanley last year. There's a picture here on Megan's blog.

I don't have a problem with little people. The Station Agent was a great movie. So was Time Bandits. But Lil Brit made me really uncomfortable. Yes, she had a decent voice and could really belt it out. And I could see how this is probably the only way she's going to break into show business. (She could probably have picked a better role model.)

But damn. I couldn't watch. All those dudes from Concord laughing at her. And her stripping down to a spangly body suit. Ick. I felt grossed out and bad for her, and then I felt guilty for feeling grossed out and bad for her. Oh the circle of shame and disgust and shame and disgust and…you get the idea.

I have no problem with the mentally ill. I find them interesting, actually. But the retarded and deformed give me the willies. What's that about?

In related news, I watched "Coming Home" for the first time. Man, Jane Fonda gives one of the longest replications of an orgasm ever. And the rest of the film is really intense too. I bet it was amazing when it came out in 1978, considering how the country was still freaked out about Vietnam. I need to ask some old people about that. I watched all the extras on the DVD, and Bruce Dern started getting all teary and choked up when describing watching it for the first time in a theater. Bruce Dern! Who knew he was such an old softie? He kept referring to himself as "Dernsy" or "Derns." What a kook.

Anyway, it's a great look at the late '60s, how people changed from supersquare to hip(pies) over night, while others didn't change at all. Kind of like my parents did.

No comments: