Sunday, June 29, 2008

Phair Enough


Have you looked at Exile on Guyville's cover lately? I'd never noticed how much Liz Phair looks like Stevie Nicks on there.

Last week, Chris and I went to see Phair play her entire 1993 album at the Fillmore. Would it suck? Would it be embarrassing? Would there be anyone under 30 there?

The answers turned out to be no, no, and no. For me, it was more interesting than great, although Chris liked it a lot. He reminded me how nervous a performer Phair used to be and how she was perfectly comfortable now. But she's never really been a great singer and her guitar playing hasn't gotten much better. So, unlike the Sonic Youth Daydream Nation show, the songs didn't sound better than they did originally. A little more Stones-y than on the album, however, which made it easier to see how they were influenced by Exile on Main Street.

It was still enjoyable, mainly because some of her songs are really pretty amazing. And dirty, way dirty. Which is probably part of the major reason why I originally liked them. Catchy and dirty? Bingo.

The oddest moment of the night occurred during "Flower" when she sang, "I just want your fresh, young jimmy/ Jamming, slamming, ramming in me," and a number of women from all over the audience whooped and hollered. Really? I could understand dudes whooping, but ladies whooping for another woman asking for some jamming, slamming, ramming? Not that the ladies don't like that sometimes.

Maybe it was all the pot smoking. Jesus, the 30+ white men and women sure do like the ganja. Doesn't a Liz Phair show seem like an odd fit for smoking out? It's not like there's trippy visuals or wild guitar solos. Just singalongs about doggy style sex with the TV on (from the Whip Smart-era encore, "Chopsticks").

One last thing. According to this article, we have Nash Kato from Urge Overkill for Phair's nipple showing up on the cover.

3 comments:

freshpinkstyle said...

Wait, you' re still confused about those women wooting at the sexy part of that song? I thought we talked about this the other night? It seems like they were happy to embrace the same feminist ideals of Liz where women can be just like dirty men if they wanna. Not so confusing, right?

Dan said...

I guess the thing I find odd is that if a guy were to be up there yelling about how he'd like to be ramming some lady, people might boo him.

And either way, I guess I would feel uncomfortable. Am I a prude?

Bubeau said...

I was reading some new Williamsburg fashion magazine at issues - i think it was all written by women? And it was a lot about this williamsburg woman is making a book, and this williamsburg woman is doing that, etc.

While I perused this magazine, I noticed that in TWO DIFFERENT PLACES with TWO DIFFERENT WRITERS, they used the expression "gored" in positive, sexual way.

"When I'm out on the town and looking to get gored by some half-way decent looking dude......"

Anyway, girls are gross.