Monday, July 7, 2008

Bad Isn't the New Good

I have been watching a lot of bad movies lately, and since I'd hate for you to make the same mistakes I have, I thought I'd tell you about them. Warnings are good. Critics who lead you astray are bad.

Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay. I passed up Iron Man for this. Seriously. I really didn't want to see Iron Man. And this wasn't so bad, although maybe it was the Vicodin that made it work. But really, I liked it better than…

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. Which I saw second. I guess I laughed a couple times, but overall pretty damn dumb. Not as dumb as Dude Where's My Car?, but dumb enough to make me give up my attempt to appreciate Unapologetically Dumb Films. Also, it plays like one big product placement, which fostered a bad taste in my mouth that the characters couldn't overcome.

The Foot Fist Way. Not even good as a Parkway movie. So slapdash and unfunny that it seems like it was written on a napkin and then they lost half the napkin right before shooting.

Cassandra's Dream. I liked the last couple of Woody Allen movies okay, but this was a stinker. Just repetitive and dull, with Ewan McGregor and Tom Wilkinson wasted. Plus, not a wiff of Scarlett Johansson.

Gone Baby Gone. Based on a Dennis Lehane novel and featuring two members of the Wire cast (including Omar!) and about Massachusetts corruption. How can you go wrong? Easy! Maybe there's just been too many films like this already or maybe Ben Affleck butchered the novel or maybe the Wire is just so much better than anything else that this seemed simplistic and obvious. Also, an Oscar for Amy Ryan? Was it a bad year for costume dramas?

I know I'm Not Alone. Michael Franti wanders around the Middle East with a guitar, talking to normal folks who tell us that war sucks. Well, duh.

All that said, I recommend Teeth, the vagina dentata coming of age film, and Wall-E, the sweet love story wrapped up in the apocalyptic cartoon story. Talk about opposite sides of the spectrum.

Also, here's a video of Jacques Dutronc and Jane Birkin to get you ready for Bardot a Go Go this Friday.

3 comments:

freshpinkstyle said...

Hey, why did you go to Wall-E? I went because R made me.

Dan said...

Did you not like it? I went because Bruce's 6-year-old niece wanted to go to either that or Kung Fu Panda, which her mom said was racist. Plus April likes Pixar.

And I'm glad I did, since it's way better than any other Pixar film I've seen. The end.

ruzxs said...

i wanted to see it because i saw some little kids run up and hug the "lifesize" wall-e replica at the movie theater, months before the movie came out. it wasn't quite that good, but it was still pretty fucking badass.