Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Rock of Ages

In memorial of the recent Feelies reunion, I give you my Top 10 favorite live shows:

*Feelies at the Warfield w/ fIREHOSE and American Music Club, 1991. I had no idea who AMC was and I kept wondering who had let Bob Seger into the building.

*Crash Worship at the Trocadero, 1995? Came home with a strange rash on my elbows from all the red wine, sweat, and condensed milk.

*Broadcast at the Bottom, 1999? All the lights off, keyboard intensity.

*Young Fresh Fellows at the Bottom, 1998. I was high, so I'm still not sure if they were the greatest band ever that night. Drummer had a giant gong.

*Terrastock SF at Custer Studios, 1998. Um, standing next to the singer for Bardo Pond while tripping balls and watching the Spaceheads has to be one of the most profound moments I've had.

*Belle & Sebastian at the Warfield, 2001. Like an orgasm after 4 years of foreplay.

*Neutral Milk Hotel at the Kilowatt, 1996? There were 50 people, maybe, and 10 were on stage.

*Extra Action Marching Band at a warehouse when they zapped a turkey
w/ a Vandergraaf Generator, Thanksgiving 2002?

*The Aislers Set at Purple Onion, 1999? Like being in the Cavern Club in Hamburg in 1961, or so it seemed at the time.

*Thunderbleed (aka Blind Vengeance) at the Vulcan Warehouse, 1999? Back when they had some guy who could sing.

Yes, I have a hard time remembering dates.

2 comments:

Bubeau said...

Ow!

ruzxs said...

ok, a few of mine, if i must:

Accept @ Rainbow Theater, Denver, 1985. Balls to the wall with suburban heshers.

Jane's Addiction @ some theater downtown LA, 1988. Perry in a leg cast, hopping mad.

Jeff Buckley @ the Starry Plough, 1994. I am serious, one of the best shows I've ever seen was at the Plough!

Mommyheads @ Red Victorian Cafe, 1991. Pretty much was blown away anytime I saw that band, but this was the first time I saw with them with the 'classic' line-up.

Hamza El Din @ SF State, 2000? Rock music sucks. Super quiet oud loner music is where it was at.