Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Goodbye Big Applesauce

Today is the last day of my New York sojourn. (Boo! Yay! Both!) I was offered a sublet by a friend of Ryan's, starting in September, but I'm not taking it (again with the booing and the yaying, you cheeky bastards). Instead, I will give you a lot of pictures from McCarren Pool, where over the last few years they've held free indie shows every Sunday during the summer. And no, it's not full of water, although it would be cool to see Georgia Hubley do the backstroke. It looks like this (note the Slip & Slide):
There's also a place for dodgeball, but I resorted to just playing a game I like to call photographing the hipsters. Here's a bunch of guys who like Thurston Moore a lot. Why does no one want to look like Lee Renaldo? Poor Lee.

And here's a mini Russ.

And another one. Looks just like him from the back.

King Khan actually commented on this guy from the stage. Me, I think the feather on the marching band helmet is overdoing it.

This guy looked like a combo of Opie Cunningham and his dad from Happy Days, with a little white trash mixed in.

These two must've called up and asked what the other was wearing. "Oh yeah, the bandana? That's a nice touch!"

Finally, the show started. Wow, what a show. King Khan is like extreme Elvis if he slimmed down a bit and only stripped to his underwear (and was brown instead of pale white). And sometimes wore a blue helmet.

He had his own personal dancer.

He had his own rollerblading septegenarian bringing him bananas. Which he then threw into the audience. (One guy chucked it back and hit him in the balls.)

When he'd finished, he came back out for the Black Lips set wearing a backless dress.

And proceeded to end the show with a major paper fight.

The girl next to us actually caught a roll and put it in her purse. New York is expensive, but damn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kind of hate New York. But maybe I only hate New York in the summertime.

ruzxs said...

hey, i resemble that remark!

dudebro played a 70's elvis the other night at the missouri, it was great but it made me sad. i really miss eXtreme E.

freshpinkstyle said...

1.) R would never wear that tight of pants, so it doesn't like EXACTLY like him from the back.

2.) I was talking to someone last weekend at the green card wedding that we had to go to and they were saying that NYC smells like hot garbage, year round, but more in the summer.

3.) I am really sad that I've yet to see King Khan!

4.) Good work on the fashion round-up photos!

5.) We need to catch up in person about your trip. I need to hear the real dirt. Sorry I missed last night.