Friday, January 12, 2007

It's all Greek to me, part 2

Okay, more Greece. There was an awesomely named restaurant called...Moustache! I imagined that Lee/Brian/Moustachio the Indie Rocker Bartender Man About Town Who Stole Eric's Woman That Night eats here when he visits Rini's family (this is much Rickshaw inside joking, which probably isn't that funny even if you know what I'm talking about).


Around the corner on the isle of Mykonos (my favorite overall), you can find On the Rocks and the Jam Bar (which plays, you guessed it, bad Jammy Jam Rock). At On the Rocks, I drank flaming Absinthe and watched some of the whitest people ever try to get funky to the hits of the day (think Justin Timberlake, My Humps, Nelly F's Maneater which I came to really enjoy).


After listening to all the Eurotrash disco and Top 40 pop, I was really jonesing for some good indie music. Imagine my surprise when I saw this poster for a bar that played everything from Franz Ferdinand to the Clash to, um, Metallica. Sadly, it wasn't open yet, since nothing on Ios opens until 11 p.m. (and that's when the vomit starts to flow down it's narrow, quaint footpaths).


This is a very talkative Swedish guy, who went on the cave-swim boat tour. In the background on the right you can sort of see the Brazilian girl I was in love with (she had a boyfriend back in Berlin, where she was taking classes) and on the left there's the French couple I was in love with (they looked straight out of a Tintin book, complete with cowlicks).


Here you can see the white buildings of Ios. These are the buildings that first convinced me to want to come to Greece, back when I watched For Your Eyes Only in 7th grade (my mom wanted me to see the Muppets Take Manhatten with her; it was my first act of rebellion; talk about embarrassing) and then when I saw Summer Lovers with a very young Daryl Hannah and Peter Gallagher (this was only 2 years ago but the movie was filmed in the 80s and made everything, including threesomes, seem so perfect). The buildings, at least, really are perfect. This is where I want to come to die. My grandchildren can push me up the hills in a wooden wheelbarrow. Ah, that'll be the life.

No comments: