Friday, January 26, 2007

You are what you eat ... and eat and eat

So, I went to the Fancy Food Expo this week, thanks to Tracie's tip. It had been 13 years since I went last, way back in 1994 when I worked at the knish stand. On that day, I went a little crazy on the fancy finger foods, gorging on everything in sight, including the free French champagne, which meant I showed up woozy and bloated for my first shift as a waiter at Centerfolds. Sort of like this (note how my no-hawk is really coming in here):


This time I knew better. Thanks to Tracie's friend's suggestion, I ate mostly savory things first, saving the sweets for last (and forgoing the bubbly).

The whole thing - two huge rooms of every kind of fancy food available to stores, caterers, and restaurants - reminded me of the Alternative Press Expo, where all the exhibitors were desperate to get your business. I only snacked at tables where other people were gorging, so that I wouldn't be drawn into conversation about the delicate flavor of their crackers and cheeses. Or how many kinds of pickles they sold.


Some random observations:

Texas is not a country, even if its booths were situated in the International corridor, right next to England and Australia.

Korean chocolates taste like taffy that's been stuck under a desk for a week.

You feel more like a glutton if you carry your toothpick from booth to booth, even though you're helping the environment by conserving tiny pieces of wood.

They're doing crazy things with sugared/flavored nuts these days.

All packaged Indian foods taste the same, whether they be from New Zealand or Germany.

Darth Vader looks less menacing as a gumball machine.


After a while, I actually got tired of all the chocolate mousse and candied yak butter. I took one last pic of some disturbing candles and headed home.


That night, I came back to the city for the Black Lips. I've decided that whenever Fresh Pink tells me a show is worth seeing then I should drag my tired ass out of the Three Kinds of Stupid podcast editing suite, and go. She's always right! It's amazing.

The Black Lips, also, were amazing. I never thought frat rock would be popular again, but then again I didn't see the Hives' as a major label band either. Anyway, the Lips friggin' rocked, they covered Jacques Dutronc's "Hippie Hippie Hooray," and they spit up in the air and caught it in their mouths (I have to try this at the next TKS bash). These things are what make up a great, dumb rock band.

And I've decided that I really like great, dumb rock bands. I like my music either really smart (Don Lennon, Flaming Lips) or really dumb (the Sonics, Lil' Kim). Maybe dumb is the new smart.


All of this has got me thinking about a new relationship theory. But I have to test it out a bit before I reveal it.

3 comments:

freshpinkstyle said...

I am glad you are becoming one with liking the "dumb rock" bands. I don't think that their look, which is sort of athletic meets southern milk chicken with a tinge of Vice magazine, meets up with their sound. I think their musical taste actually seems mature for how old I think they are. That was impressive! They've got potential, that's for sure.

I wish I coulda gone to that food bash, it sounded fun. Tracie said that Monday's night edition hands out the most amazing gift food bag ever. Did you get one of those? Also- that Darth Vader is super cute!

That photo of us is funny, R looks like he is about to be assaulted and it confirms I don't like my discount haircut.

But I liked this post!

ruzxs said...

dio once said "at the end of the day, the kids just want to hear 'louie louie'".

PopPhilosopher said...

Sadly, I didn't get a gift bag. I felt guilty enough just walking around and scarfing so I decided to not take any samples home.

And, for those who don't know, "frat rock" refers to the Kingsmen, the Troggs, and "Wooly Bully." The Boars are my favorite local frat rockers, and they're playing next Wednesday at the Rickshaw!