Friday, January 12, 2007

It's all Greek to me, part 3

More Greece. Here's a black sand beach on Santorini. Notice the stray dog lying in the sand, all emaciated and sad looking. These dogs are everywhere. My first night I arrived at 3 a.m. and discovered that my hostel reservation was for the next night and they were full up. So I wandered around the streets, considering whether or not to sleep outside (it was 70 degrees and perfect). But then homeless guys and homeless dogs started following me up and down the streets and so I ended up talking a different hostelier into giving me a cot in a hallway for 10 euros. Hello, Greece.


Here I am with the famed Santorini in the background. It really is a monument to man's immense insanity. "Hey let's put a village on a cliff, where any volcanic blast can knock us down into the ocean." But damn if that sunset isn't worth eating your toenails for. It just went on and on until I felt guilty of drinking in all that beauty, as if there were little children in China who were starved for sunsets.


And we end with the most bizarre picture of my trip. It's not from Greece; rather, it's from the Vienna airport, and as far as I can tell it's some artist's rendition of this mom's Vijayjay.

Those crazy Austrians.

No comments: