Friday, May 4, 2007

One kind of sick

For the first time in two weeks, I woke up today feeling better this morning. Not great, but better. Then I rode my bike to get OJ and drop off a Netflix, and now I feel dizzy and exhausted again. Whatever this illness is, it blows. I've got the mucous-y tissues to prove it.

On Wednesday, I decided to quarantine myself, so I've spent the last three days inside, only leaving to get provisions like chicken soup and the mail. I've watched about 14 episodes of the Office (did you know that Karen's parents are Quincy Jones and Peggy Lipton (Mod Squad, Twin Peaks)? That's some hot shit genes) and two movies and finished one book and started another. I missed out on the Elvis Costello concert, Kathleen and Kristina's African Food Safari, the Warriors clinching victory, and several Film Fest movies I'd bought tickets for. I'd be going stir crazy if I had the energy for it.

In the process of writing a preview for the Elvis show, I made a playlist of my favorite tunes of his. It's 45 songs long. I realized that I know all the words to My Aim Is True and Blood and Chocolates. It's funny, but when that latter record came out when I was a freshman in college, I really understood and appreciated it. The weird thing is that it's sooo mean-spirited and bitter, and I was this naïve 18-year-old-kid who'd only been in one relationship, a relationship that I'd ended myself. So why exactly did I so fully understand Elvis' misery and bitterness?

Anyhoo, here's my top 5 Elvis Costello songs at this moment:

1. "Radio, Radio" from This Year's Model
2. "Pads, Paws, and Claws," from Spike
3. "Pay It Back," from My Aim Is True
4. "Blue Chair," from Blood & Chocolate
5. "Getting Mighty Crowded," from Get Happy

Hopefully, I will have the energy to spin discs at tomorrow's Three Kinds of Stupid party. It's at Olive, and Brent made this flyer especially for it. See how multi-talented the Stupids are?

Here's part two of the latest GG&S saga. By the way, you can make the cartoons bigger by clicking on them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

in korea people pour warm salt water into one nostril. then they spit it out. clears the membranes.
cavs in 6.
dboy

Bubeau said...

She is not supposed to say anything - her hate seethes and burns FROM THE INSIDE.

Can you draw that?

PopPhilosopher said...

If only.

Anonymous said...

holy sh*t. adrienne shelly died. i'm behind the times in asia. and they just showed the 90120 where brenda and kelly wore the same red prom dress.
dboy

PopPhilosopher said...

not just died: murdered. her last movie's getting great reviews. such a bummer.

um, not the reviews; the murder.